Friday, February 6, 2009

Abby

Please read the Riggs blog by clicking HERE.
They can really use prayer. Its just unbelievable what this little girl is going through.


This is a pic from the airport after we came home with Maya. I am so wanting to start the adoption process again! We still have to pay off our loan but hoping and praying soon we can start the process for our next child from ETHIOPIA in a few years.
We are having some bedtime problems with Maya or shall I say with her parents. We let her fall asleep in our bed. I KNOW BAD! I KNOW. So now we are paying the price bc when i put her in her crib when she is awake she freaks. Freaks means hyperventilates, screams "MAMAMAMA". It is absolutely awful. Screaming on top of her lungs. I want her to go to bed earlier and in her crib like a big girl so tonite...Josh was out so i rocked her at 7:30 til 8:15 at least. Put her in her crib and the freaking out began. Then for an hour i sat by her crib, rubbed her back, her hair, put music on, held her hand tight and she finally fell asleep in her crib. The tight hand holding thru the bars was to die for adorable and made me keep going and not give up. It would be so much easier to put her in our bed and she would fall asleep and then i would put her in the crib but this is a good lesson and has to happen at her age...I felt accomplished that I got her to fall asleep. Everytime i took my hand back (bc the circulation was being cut off) she would jump up and i would say mommy is here, its ok, lay down and she would. SO...i hope tomorrow night will be easier. I can't stand the sight of Maya crying which brings me to Abby Riggs. I just am heart broken. I imagine her crying from the pain and the vision seems unbearable BUT The RIggs have the most amazing faith. Read their blog when you can.
Love
Jul

8 comments:

Troy said...

1) Your bedtime story is priceless

2) We're praying for Abby ... so sad for that little girl

3) I think we're #2 ... we got the biweekly email today and I *think* we're #2 ... soooo, hopefully next week! (but who knows?!)

I'll be sure to let you know ... how could I not ... you were so instrumental in the beginning of our journey ... I've gone back to those early emails last summer ... unreal your support and encouragement. Thank you!

Christy said...

Hey Julie,
good to see your update... I am also praying for Abby... Ihave their blog linked to mine as well. She is a beautiful little girl... I know that the Lord is holding on to her so tightly through this terrible time. It amazes me that despite the pain she still finds a moment to smile and laugh... that is truly the JOY of the LORD shining through that sweet spirit!

Maya, is so cute... you guys are so amazing to have adopted... we would if we had the financial status to ... but we don't right now... and we do have our hands full with the two that are a year apart right now. Maybe in our future... down the road a bit!

If you go to my blog... check out the website chronicles of a babywise mom... it gives you great tips with children... how to do the bedtime deal, and all different things... any question you have can be answered there... it's based off of the book baby wyse... it's amazing and I have used all the methods with all the kids. if you look to the left hand side of the blog... you'll see all different topics addressed, it is in alphabetical order... so you should be able to find something, or they have a search engine on there also you could type in bedtime or sleep... and it would help you out... I highley suggest you check it out.

Hope all goes well with the sleeping tonight... that is a hard habit to break... but when you do it, you'll be relieved and able to be much more rested the next day!

God bless,
christy

Eryn said...

Hey there, I've looked at your blog before, but never commented, So , here I am! I'm Eryn, also adopting from Ethiopia.

Side note: my youngest was AWFUL at going to sleep on his own. We finally did what you mentioned here, it took about a week, each night about 10-15 minutes shorter of crying, until he finally just laid down with no fuss the last night!

There are some great supernanny bedtime videos on youtube too, but it sounds like you're on the right track.

Eastiopians said...

I SO feel you pain regarding bed-time. It can be soooo heartbreaking. I did exactly the same thing of sitting by the crib singing and holding Eva's hand. Good luck to you...at almost 3 yrs old we still ly down next to Eva in her twin bed until she falls asleep and then we sneak out. She has been potty training the past few weeks (and is a pro already) so we decided that in a couple of months we'll work on her falling asleep by herself. OMG, I am not looking forward to it.
Theresa
P.S.-I have been following Abby's story and I pray for her constantly. She is such a beautiful child inside and out and her family is amazing.

Eastiopians said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leah Reeves said...

Hi,

I am happy you are public again. I missed seeing cute pics of Maya and updates.
sleeping is hard. I was given really good advice by another Ethiopia adoptive mom.
Make a plan and stick to the plan for 7 days. If you get through 7 days and the plan did not work make a new one.....give it 7 days.

We came up with a plan so we could put Gabre in her crib awake and leave. It took only 4 days and things have been good ever since.
The main thing is to stick to the plan and do not change it or "give in" for 7 days.
It sounds like you have a good plan started now just keep at it.

Leah

Leah Reeves said...

Praying for little Abby!~Leah

Special Delivery said...

The bedtime thing must be sooo hard! Dan and I are anticipating the same battle. We are just so in love and when you are, it's really hard to set boundaries. We continue to lift Abby up in prayer! Her whole family is a blessing to each other and this world! I meant to call you a couple weeks ago. Things are busy here as we are getting ready for Addia to come home! But, maybe I'll be able to take a bit of time this week to give you a buzz! I'd love to chat and catch up!