Here are some pics of Maya from Chanukah





watching Barney for the 25th time with the same enthusiasm as if it was the first time!
.... and today

(notice the 2 top teeth! FINALLY)
Liz Lyons motivated me to attempt to do Maya's hair (i will do a clip,bow or at the most pigtails)...BUT unlike Nina, Maya does NOT sit and play with toys while I do her hair. SO after hysterics i was able to get some pony tails in. No even parts were made!!!! Let's just say at one point Maya was in the sink turning the cold water on her pants and socks so I could get the last pony in. I will have to come up with something else next time but here is the first try!
Maya's hair is changing. It is still very curly but much more frizzy at the ends. I use any normal shampoo and then Curlz conditioner and sometimes a product after she is out of the bath but that product doesnt work to keep the friz away. Any suggestions?
Also, I have been checking the Riggs blog all day. I keep thinking 58 more days until Abby is done! Oh it feels long for me i can only imagine for them.






18 comments:
Love the shout out! That Maya gets more precious by the SECOND! I do think Nina is an anomaly with how well she sits to get her hair done. I'm sure I'll pay for it when she's 13!
liz
Don't use any shampoo with sulfate in it. It is bad for African hair. (I don't know why.) We use the "Curls" shampoo and conditioner on R. Also, their hair milkshake is good as well as the leave in conditioner. We also use Silkin Child hair cream (orange bottle) and detangler, both from Sally's Beauty supply. I sort of alternate days I use which products, and it seems to work well. I love the Curls stuff, and that has really made R's hair look great! We only wash her hair once a week also.
Love the pics! Maya is turning in to quite the little girl... no more baby!! I love the piggies too. Have you tried doing her hair while she's watching Barney. Grace will let me do anything to her hair as long as she's watching the Wiggles. I just did 8 tiny french braids the other day..... she didn't budge!! :) By the way... Grace has the same black top. Too cute. Oh-- I also wouldn't use just any shampoo. I heard it can really dry out the hair. :)
Beautiful girl...
Maya is soooo cute! I love her hair. I have zero hair tips b/c I am learning from you guys. My plan is to go with Cynthia's hair regimen that she uses with SJ. It is inexpensive and effective. Check out her blog...she has posted about it in the past couple of months.
Hey Julie!
As one with very curly hair (though not of African descent), I can tell you that all of the sulfates are bad for curly hair b/c it's already dry and sulfates are the same chemical that's found in acid rain! (how's that for yummy!) Two great product lines for curly hair are Mop Top and Deva Curl. When I started using them regularly, I noticed a HUGE change in my hair. Curly hair needs tons of moisture in order to look its best. Avoid a regular shampoo at all costs. As her hair adjusts, you might see some flakes and things - that's the scalp "healing" from the damage of the other chemicals. Give it a few washes and it'll go away.
Besides, the kids' line of Mop Top is called "Fuzzy Duck" and how cute is that?
Hope it helps!
Erin (frequent lurker)
Maya is so adorable-uneven pigtails and all! I second the sulfate advise! And, once you find a good hair-routine, you'll have to let me know so that I can do the same for Addia!
Maya is adorable - as always! I love her ponytails all over. Right now, Eli sits patiently while I comb out his hair everyday. He's wormy at all other times though, so I know it's just a matter of time before he's wormy while I do his hair care regimen :)
I can't believe how big she has gotten! Too cute!!
So glad to read your blog again...I couldn't find it for a while...I read you said you went "unprivate"...so maybe that was the problem...anyways..we've worked our way to #1 on girls list with AGCI..so excited and hopefully the call will come any day now...Your blog was one of the first ones I found almost a year ago when I started researching the idea of adoption...kristi
Randomly came upon your blog, but here's my two cents. I have been using two lines of products basically - one is cheap, one is pricey. Both are good. Pricey is a little bit better. Anyway, one is called Africa's Best Organics Kids line. I use this lotion:http://www.amazon.com/Organics-Butter-Detangling-Moisturizing-Lotion/dp/B000BGIYWY/ref=acc_glance_hpc_ai_-2_6_tit
after bath and in the morning after rewetting it.
They also have a shampoo which I think is very good but you might want to wait a little while because it is not necesarily tear free.
The more expensive stuff is Carol's Daughter. I love the Mimosa Hair Honey but that may be for when Maya's hair is little bit thicker - my daughter's is very thick and curly. Also used to use the Hair Milk and Black Vanilla Spray Conditioner, both are great for after both and in the morning to get it ready to style. Those are not "strong enough" for my baby's hair now, but they were great before it got as thick.
Good luck!
Hey Girly!
I just wanted to tell you how beautiful Maya is...not that she hasn't always been. But she is starting to look like a little girl vs. baby girl. I'm always drawn to your blog. It's not everyday that you can say "HEY I MET THEM IN ETHIOPIA, AT OUR EMBASSY APT." :-)
Cheers!
Bethany
Ruthie totally has the black top. :) You asked about the ringlet/twists. It's really easy. Spray the hair wet, and get it nice and slimy with hairmilk or some leave-in conditioner. then, just section off parts and twist around your finger again and again......and again and so on. it will turn into a little tight ringlet, and the hair milk helps set it. once it's dry, you can actually "split" the ringlets into smaller little ringlets to make it more full. good luck! :)
Hey--her hair isn't frizzy really, It's kind of fluffy if I comb it out. It's more wiry and tightly coiled. I am looking at pics of maya, and her hair looks a lot looser than Ruthie's.....not sure how those twists will work on hair like that.....there is actually a tutorial on shuruba.com they are called finger coils or finger twists. what she does on the video is exactly what i do. :)
Yes, we are very excited...can't wait to see our sweet girl's face...hopefully any day now...I'm tring not to obsess over it, but it is hard..I have lots of little ones to keep me busy which helps...I'll keep you posted, Kristi
Brentwood, TN
Beeler! Where are you? I see traces of you on OTHER blogs..... Do I even know you anymore? :)
xoxo
Hello Julie... I guess this is going to be the only way you and I get to correspond. I know that life is very busy with a little one... try three, and the last two only 12 months apart! aaahhh, is all I can say sometimes...especially the last few days around here. Lilly is going through the terrible two's and I sware that Zach is also!
How is your mom doing? What does everything look like for her? Pop on over to our blog... www.tennysontalk.blogspot.com I don't know if you dad had told you about our blog... I had emailed him a while ago and asked for him to pass it on to you. Please send hugs and kisses to mom and dad... tell them that we are praying for them every day and wish we could see them soon!
so what is new with you and Josh?
Oh and the hair... the best thing to do for it is to...
#1. use heavy conditioner in her hair
#2. after bathing put a heavy cream (hair cream) in her hair, comb through... seperate some curls and let it air dry.
The one thing I have learned doing hair... is when dealing with ethnic hair you don't want to dry it unless you are going to flat iron it.
I'll have to do some research on what products are good for children.
Post a Comment